Picking a Lane
Perhaps you have signed up because you want to learn how to get more bookings in the speaking industry? That’s the bottom line, bookings. But there is a process of moving into bookings and one needs first to get ready. To get prepared. An important part of that preparation process is picking a lane. Picking a Lane provides the clarity required to move to the next module and build your successful speaking business.
When you have finished the module, you will walk away with:
- A clear understanding of the benefits of picking a lane
- The definition of an expert vs. a speaker
- The value your expertise and what you bring to the table
- An understanding of what in your background may make you credible
- A clear idea of your market, audience or avatar
- The confidence that comes with being clear on what you are selling and with that confidence, the ability to command higher fees
Presented by: Jane Atkinson
Jane has been helping speakers catapult their businesses for over 20 years. As a former speaker's agent, she has represented numerous speakers who have vaulted to the top 3% of the industry including Vince Poscente, Peter Legge and Joe Calloway (all CSP/CPAE's).
In Jane's role as an agent, she often took speakers from 0 to 80 engagements per year at very high fees. Jane worked with them to develop focused and effective marketing materials and then implemented a consistent, long term sales and marketing strategy.
Jane went on to work as Vice President for International Speakers Bureau in Dallas, TX managing their Exclusive Speakers Division. There she represented celebrities like boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard and President of Washington Wizards Basketball, Susan O'Malley. Also included in the ISB roster were bestselling authors like David Weinberger, co-author of The Cluetrain Manifesto and the Swedish authors of Funky Business, Jonas Ridderstrale, and Kjell Nordstrom.
Spending a total of 6 years under the roof of a bureau gave Jane some keen insights into the industry. Not only did she see hundreds of speaker's marketing materials (the good, the bad and the ugly) but she learned the keys to building long term profitable relationships with bureaus.
Currently, Jane is a full time business coach and consultant dealing exclusively with professional speakers, celebrities and CEO's. Her clients are the who's who and the up-and-comers of the speaking world. She is often asked to speak at National Speakers Association and Canadian Association of Professional Speakers conferences and Chapter meetings. For more information on Chapter events- see Jane's website.
Picking a Lane
- Lesson 1 - Why Pick a Lane? FREE PREVIEW
- Lesson 2 - Get Your Lane into Focus
- Lesson 3 - Who is Going to Hire Me?
- Handout - Wealthy Speaker Focus Form - PDF